WHAT IS PHYSIOTHERAPY?
Physical Therapists are experts in the science and study of human movement. We explore and analyze not only how and why we move, but then how we can successfully regain movement if we temporarily lose it.
We promote movement fluidity and efficiency. When one area of the body is out of sorts, it frequently causes a chain reaction of compensation patterns up and down the body, whether we are aware of it or not.
It is the job of a good Physical Therapist to discover the underlying cause of dysfunction and pain, and then prescribe the right exercises and techniques for healing in the most efficient way possible.
WHO IS THIS PRACTICE FOR?
• Individuals with scoliosis and postural dysfunction.
• Individuals with back or neck pain and spinal disorders
• Individuals with orthopedic issues (frozen shoulder, plantar fasciitis, sciatica, piriformis syndrome, IT band and patello-femoral issues, etc) who have either had limited success in other clinics, or are seeking a private one on one approach that will get them better faster.
• Athletes for injury prevention and to establish musculoskeletal balance to keep them safe, strong, and injury-free.
• Athletes who have had limited success at other clinics with “traditional” physical therapy – they come for the benefits of the LightCure Lightforce Laser for faster healing as well as often wanting to learn how yoga can enhance their sport performance.
• Distance runners who want to learn how to keep their posture tall, open, and efficient, and not become victim to the “runner’s round” - that excessive rounding of the upper back, seen with a forward head, from years of logging hundreds of miles.
• Individuals who are either new or experienced yogis, and want a safer and deeper understanding of practice; many of my clients come for a few sessions to learn how to design a practice that is right for their body, lifestyle, and emotional needs.
• Individuals who are yoga practitioners but are either experiencing an injury that is slow to heal and need a boost, or are recovering from an injury and want to learn how to safely return to their practice.
• Individuals who want to get better the right way, the first time. No more wasted time going from therapist to therapist trying different approaches. We usually know within 3-4 visits if we are on track. In fact, I have a personal philosophy that I do not charge a session to someone if I cannot help them. That is why I only take on the cases with which I know I can significantly improve.
• Individuals who want to learn how to integrate meditation in their busy life in a way that is both accessible and meaningful.
WHAT IS THE SCHROTH METHOD?
The Schroth Method is a conservative exercise approach to the treatment of scoliosis and postural dysfunction. The Schroth Method teaches 3-D correction of the spine, and is part of a class of exercises referred to as PSSE (Physiotherapy Scoliosis Specific Exercises).
The Schroth Method is one part of a multidisciplinary, collaborative approach to the conservative management of scoliosis.
The exercises within the Schroth Method are performed in a variety of positions, each highlighting how muscles work against gravity in that specific position to open trunk concavities and promote de-rotation and deflection of the scoliosis. Every person is unique and exercises are determined based on individual curve patterns, physical ability, age, and other factors.
Originally developed by Katharina Schroth in the 1920s for her own scoliosis condition, the Schroth Method later became the standard non-surgical treatment for scoliosis. It is currently supported across Europe and is gaining a strong reputation in the United States for its effective and positive outcomes.
The Barcelona Scoliosis Physical Therapy School (BSPTS) was founded by Dr. Manuel Rigo in 2009, and is based on the original work of Katharina, and her daughter Christa Lehnert-Schroth. BSPTS teaches the original principles of Schroth, with advanced concepts learned during years of clinical experience and research.
Dr. Rigo is the son-in-law of Elena Salvá, who was a Spanish PT and studied extensively with Katharina and Christa Schroth. Elena Salvá pioneered the Barcelona Institute in 1968. Since then, her daughter, Gloria Quera-Salvá, together with Manuel Rigo (both medical doctors), have elevated and deepened the world’s knowledge, understanding of, and conservative treatment of scoliosis.
WHAT IS YOGA THERAPY?
Yoga Therapy bridges the world of Physical Therapy and Yoga. Yoga Therapy combines physical exercise, breathing practices, meditation and applied yoga philosophy to help address the root of issues that manifest as physical and emotional imbalance in our daily life. While our goals focus on the therapeutic aspects of yoga, we are essentially lifestyle management experts.
Yoga Therapy sessions, like Physical Therapy, start with a thorough history and physical evaluation, as well as discussion of your goals for your practice and life.
Clients learn tools and techniques to address physical, energetic, mental, and emotional concerns. We promote physical and emotional freedom from a foundation of stability first and foremost.
Using the principles of Ayurveda we consider each individual's unique constitution (their doshas), as well as investigating patterns of diet, sleep and lifestyle habits that may promote or disrupt balance across all body systems.
Dr Vasant Lad, one of the preeminent masters of Ayurvedic medicine, teaches that Ayurveda is the “medicine of the individual… and a way of life.”
“It is an art of living in harmony with nature, with our surroundings, and with the environment to bring harmony into our daily relationships with one another.”
Gaining clarity in our relationships not only with others, but with our own self, demands sensitive and compassionate awareness. We must carry this compassion in all we do in life so that we study things not with judgement, but with curiosity to learn, and love as our foundational force. By better understanding our patterns and how to bring our desires in harmony with our physiology, we become masters of our own destiny.
WORKSHOPS + EDUCATION
We are planning our next workshop and education offering. Please contact us and we'll add you to our list so you can be one of the first to learn about it!